I love fall. It is my favorite season. I love to see the leaves change from green to various colors of red and gold. I love to feel the chill in the air and to around a bonfire on a chilly night. It is jean and sweatshirt weather. For most people it is football weather, but for me, it is basketball season. I grew up in North Carolina in the heart of what is dubbed as Tobacco Road. More importantly, I grew up in Raleigh, just minutes awat from North Carolina State University. When I started playing basketball, I looked up to Spud Webb and Mugsy Bouges , after all, us short people have to stick together! I remember being 9 years old and watching Michael Jordan hit the winning shot to win the 1982 for the National Championship and then in 1983 watching the Cardiac Pack win! When it was ACC tournament time, there was no school work being done, we were watching basketball.
So tomorrow begins the University of North Carolina’s season and no one is happier than I am to watch basketball on Saturdays instead of football!
You Know You Grew Up In The 80’s if:
1. You used to buy cassette singles… and still have some stashed somewhere…
2. You can sing the rap to the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and can do the Carlton
3. Girls wore biker shorts under their skirts and felt stylishly sexy.
4. You yearned to be a member of the Baby-sitters club and tried to start a club of your own.
5. You owned those lil’ Strawberry Shortcake pals scented dolls (or your sister did).
6. You know that “WOAH” comes from Joey on Blossom
7. Two words: Hammer Pants
8. You watched “Fraggle Rock”.
9. You had plastic streamers on your handle bars… and spokey-dokies or playing cards on your spokes for that incredible sound effect
10. You watched “Duck Tales” (Woo ooh!)
11. It was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons.
12. You (your sister, cousins) wore a ponytail on the side of your head.
13. You saw the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the big screen..and still know the turtles names.
14. You made your mom buy one of those clips that would hold your shirt in a knot on the side.
16. You wore stonewashed Jordache jean jackets and were proud of it.
17. L.A. Gear….need I say more?
18. You remember reading Tales of a fourth grade nothing and all the other Judy Blume books.
19. You know the profound meaning of “WAX ON, WAX OFF”
20. You wanted to be a Goonie.
21. You ever wore fluorescent clothing. (some of us…head-to-toe)
22. You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off and his cheeks shifted.
23. You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the only female smurf.
24. You remember the CRAZE, then the BANNING of slap bracelets.
25. You still get the urge to say “NOT” after every sentence.
26. You remember Hypercolor t-shirts.
27. Barbie and the Rockers was your favourite band.
28. You thought She-ra (Princess of Power!) and He-Man should hook up.
29. You thought your childhood friends would never leave because you exchanged handmade friendship bracelets.
30. After you saw Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure you kept saying “I know you are, but what am I?”
31. You remember “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up”
32. You remember going to the skating rink before there were inline skates.
33. You ever got seriously injured on a Slip and Slide.
34. You have ever played with a Skip-It or Elastix
35. You had or attended a birthday party at McDonalds.
36. You’ve gone through this nodding your head in agreement.
37. Don’t worry, be happy
38. You wore like, EIGHT pairs of socks over tights with high top Reeboks.
39. You wore socks scrunched down
40. You remember boom boxes and walking around with one on your shoulder like you were all that.
41. You remember watching both Gremlins movies.
42. You know what it meant to say “Care Bear Stare!!”
43. You remember watching Rainbow Bright and & My Little Pony Tales
44. You thought Doogie Howser/Samantha Micelli was hot.
45. You remember Alf, the lil furry brown alien from Melmac.
46. You remember New Kids on the Block when they were cool…and don’t even flinch when people refer to them as “NKOTB”
47. You knew all the characters names and their life stories on “Saved By The Bell,” The ORIGINAL class.
48. You know all the words to Bon Jovi – SHOT THROUGH THE HEART.
49. You just sang those words to yourself.
50. You remember watching Magic vs. Bird.
51. Homemade Levi shorts.. (the shorter the better)
52. You remember when mullets were cool!
53. You had a mullet!
54. You still sing “We are the World”
55. You tight rolled your jeans.
56. You owned a bannana clip.
57. You used to (and probably still do) say “What you talkin’ ’bout Willis?”
58. You had big hair and you knew how to use it.
59. You’re still singing shot through the heart in your head, aren’t you!
When you ask children what they want to be when they grow up, you generally get answers like a doctor, lawyer, nurse, teacher, maybe a preacher, or missionary. Not me, I had my sights set much higher. I can remember being about 4 years old and when people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, well I emphatically told them that I wanted to be a truck driver. Now I have no idea where the idea of becoming a truck driver came from. I just knew I had my cowboy boots, which I wore with my gym shorts and t-shirt and I thought I was the bomb diggity. After a while, I didn’t even wait for people to ask me, I let them know that I was going to be a truck driver and I had the boots to prove it! My mother must have had one heck of a prayer life. She had to with a child like me. Luckily for my mother, I grew out of my truck driver stage and went on to college to study to be a teacher. Although sometimes after a stressful day at work I wonder if I missed my real calling after all!